SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Looking for a freelance illustrator!

Discussion started on

Hi all! I'm an author working with a tiny, indie publishing company in its second year. As this is my first traditionally published book, I'm trying to help the company move the process forward. The book is about a little boy with two moms. If you're interested, please reach out with samples of your work. The advance will be low-ish (under $1200) but royalties will be nice, and you'll be making the world a more inclusive place!
#1 - October 22, 2019, 09:47 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Editors typically choose the illustrator. Has your editor asked you to locate one and pay for it?
#2 - October 22, 2019, 04:21 PM
DUCKWORTH, THE DIFFICULT CHILD (Atheneum, 2019)
INCOGNOLIO (Janx Press, 2017)
CRASHING EDEN  (Solstice, 2012)
OTTO GROWS DOWN (Sterling, 2009)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
If you've been asked to find people with styles you like so the publisher can contact them, that's great. Otherwise, I have the same question as Michael.
#3 - October 22, 2019, 08:46 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi Jennifer,
It might help to let Illustrators know the name of the publisher (to gage how their book sales have been and the publishers potential for earning out the advance, typically at 5%) to start earning royalties. 
Also a bit more about the project, for example Style:  A story may call for realistic Illustration, whimsical, cartoon art, etc.  Certainly there are many other factors involved, (deadline, net/gross royalties, payment schedule, etc) before agreeing to a contract but those could be considered once an interest is shown by the publisher, to a particular Illustrator.
Congrats on your contract :)
#4 - October 23, 2019, 02:15 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

I agree with all others here. In every book I've read the advice is that you shouldn't find your own illustrator because it is the responsibility of the publisher to seek the illustrator. Or they should have their own.
Two books which may of interest to you are "Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Children's Books", by Harold Underdown (which has a whole chapter on the subject. Or, as others have suggested CWIM.
Sounds like vanity press & I wouldn't really go for it. I've learned here that the costs aren't worth & many bookstores probably wouldn't sell them.
#5 - October 23, 2019, 08:45 AM

Members: