SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

picture book blueprint

Discussion started on

Hello everyone,
I've been writing and reading picture books for quite some times, but seem to be getting nowhere.  :faint
I came across the picture book bluerpint by Laura Backes.
I know no formula can make a book get published, or everybody would be doing the same thing, but as I seem to be getting stuck, and the critics I get from my group aren't detangling the problem, or at least not enough to get an agent, I was just wondering if any one had bought this blueprint and if so, had it been helpful or not?
Thanks for your help.  :grouphug2
#1 - October 28, 2019, 02:33 AM
MA in creative writing. Author of upper middle-grade novel and chocoholic and SCBWI member

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Marie, I don't know about Laura Backes' PB Blueprint but the way you are immersing yourself in the PB is what I do too. I also love PB Builders, a blog where they share good PBs and do a bit of dissecting: https://picturebookbuilders.com/

Some good how to books on PB writing are by Ann Paul Whitford, Anastasia Suen, Linda Ashman. I also find Write it Right by Sandy Asher a very helpful book because you can see how the stories were revised. These might help you too in your journey. Best wishes.
#2 - October 28, 2019, 07:05 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Hi Vijaya,
thank you for all those suggestions. I'm going to have a look. :)
#3 - October 28, 2019, 09:57 AM
MA in creative writing. Author of upper middle-grade novel and chocoholic and SCBWI member

Members: