SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Informational Inserts

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
This is my first time posting, and am not sure I am in the right place. I want to include what I can only figure out to call are informational inserts, i.e. maps, timelines, historical events, etc. in my middle grade non-fiction book. Is there an appropriate name for this device? If so, where can I learn more about them? Thank you.
#1 - November 09, 2019, 11:16 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Sidebars for ones that are with the text, otherwise they can go in Author's Notes, an appendix, etc., depending on the formality of the book.  Disclaimer: I've only done adult NF; someone with middle grade experience probably will weigh in with more targeted suggestions.
#2 - November 09, 2019, 01:11 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Sidebars if they are on the same pages as the text, back matter if it follows the text.
#3 - November 09, 2019, 02:40 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I second Rebecca. Within the back matter you could call each one a "graphic".
#4 - November 09, 2019, 09:49 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Very interesting and helpful.  My thinking so far is that the graphic would go on a separate page right behind (or next to) the page with the text i.e. about the historical person's reference, or a map about the location I am discussing, i.e. a small town in South Carolina.  It would not be at the "back" of the book. Would that still be referred to as "back matter?" I do plan on including historical timelines at the back of the book. Thank you!!!!
#5 - November 10, 2019, 08:02 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
It seems that whatever is directly following the text, even if not on the same page would be called the sidebar. 
#6 - November 10, 2019, 08:04 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
It is a side bar. The idea is that the reader can look at the sidebar immediately if they want more info, but doesn't have to. Some will, others may not want to break up the general flow of the narrative. I usually read short ones, but return to longer ones when I finish the main text.
#7 - November 10, 2019, 06:23 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thank you.  This helps.
#8 - November 10, 2019, 06:36 PM

Members: