SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Internships vs. Apprenticeships

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
My MC has spent her junior year preparing for an internship back east partly to get out of her small town but also because her future plans are to study to become a lawyer. I've done some research but I still am not completely clear on which would be more likely for a Senior in High School  to work toward and achieve. Anyone have experience with either of these? Or, maybe one of your children has done something similar?
Any help appreciated.

:yourock

Also, I'm not completely bought into law. If there is another vocation that young people have the opportunity to internship or apprenticeship with/to I'm open.

#1 - November 12, 2019, 11:31 AM
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:40 AM by hairaplenty »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
The only high school students I know of who have interned/apprenticed were related to the lawyers for whom they worked.

My son is considering law and has been told (for around here) you have to be in a law program to be considered. And you have to apply VERY early. I.e. a summer position means an application by November at the latest.

But that could just be around here.
#2 - November 12, 2019, 12:46 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks, David.
What would a Law program be for a Junior in High School? I have her applying a year before the internship. She has volunteered in a law office but that is all. She's homeschooled so maybe she could be doing an online type of prep for an internship? Any info would help. Thanks you!
#3 - November 12, 2019, 03:37 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
What would a Law program be for a Junior in High School?

Sorry I meant in university.

My brother, a long time ago, was able to volunteer in law office where my mother worked. He decided law was boring and became an engineer instead.

The two high schools I know personally who worked in law offices had little choice. Their dads decided for them.
#4 - November 12, 2019, 05:41 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Our high school has a person in the Counseling Center who arranges Internships as well as vocational education. Interns work in a variety of settings from hospitals and veterinary offices to stores, preschools,  and the local aquarium. Local businesses can ask to be included.  The list for this year isn't out yet, but I'll try to remember to link to it once it appears.

I think a lot will depend on the area your main character lives in, what the values are, and what types of business are available. Also, some places can't take on even volunteers below a certain age. For example, you must be 16 or go with an adult to volunteer with animals here. You might do a Google search on high school interns and see what comes up. I often find gems in the fluff of Google when I research things.
#5 - November 12, 2019, 06:34 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thank everyone. Very helpful!
#6 - November 13, 2019, 04:15 AM

Members: