SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Include backmatter in PB manuscript submission?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I have a PB manuscript (fiction) that I'm getting close to submitting and it can/should have back matter on the topic.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with submitting a manuscript you envision having back matter. Do you submit it all together?
Or say that back matter is available upon request and just submit the story?

Thanks!
#1 - December 12, 2019, 10:03 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Is your back matter less than a page long? If so, I'd paste it to a new page at the end of your manuscript.
#2 - December 13, 2019, 04:03 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Yes. I submit a lot of PBs with back matter. Most are NF, but I have even had back matter for a few fiction PBs that I have written. When I submit it, I do a page break, title the back matter, then write it double spaced. You can just call it "Author's Note" but I think editors like to see creativity in the title, too. My PB that sold, I titled the back matter "Who Are These Freaky Fish?"  (Though I don't think a creative title will make or break the PB, one editor at a retreat told me she likes to see authors think out of the box and use the book's personality/tone in titling the back matter.)

Good luck!!!!!
#3 - December 13, 2019, 06:41 AM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, Spring 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, Fall 2021)

Reader, Writer, Teacher, Wife & Mother
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I always submit back-matter when I know the book needs to have it. I try to keep it short (no more than a 2-pg spread) and refer other books for kids who want to know more. But the bibliography I use for the publisher will include all the adult titles.

Deb, you make a great point to have the back-matter having a similar voice as the main text.
#4 - December 13, 2019, 07:49 AM
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thank you all so much for the responses!
#5 - December 14, 2019, 05:58 PM

Members: