SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Illustrations for Nonfiction Chapter Book

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
I would like to submit a nonfiction chapter book to publishers.  Is it common practice to require the author to provide illustrations for nonfiction for the 7-10 age group?   I wish I knew which publishers require that the author provide illustrations before I submit and wait months.  I'm wondering about Boyds Mills Press in particular.
#1 - December 28, 2019, 11:54 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Authors do not typically provide illustrations unless they are both writers and professional illustrators. If you mean do authors provide or source photos for nonfiction that depends on the publisher.
#2 - December 28, 2019, 04:45 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Reader, Writer, Teacher, Wife & Mother
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Linda, Rebecca is right. I have on occasion given sketches for illustration (even for fiction), but only if necessary. I write about science and sometimes a picture is really worth a thousand words. But I strive for clarity in all my writing, so there's no need for my amateur sketches. Sometimes, editors ask me to do photo research, but that comes after a manuscript has been accepted. Good luck!
#3 - December 28, 2019, 04:59 PM
TONGUE-TIED (Heinemann, 2019) BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018) TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015) & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Rebecca's right. If you are talking about illustrations and not photos, your publisher will choose the illustrator, unless you are a professional illustrator yourself.
#4 - December 28, 2019, 05:02 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Guidelines for Boyd's Mills are on the web: https://boydsmillsandkane.com/about-us/submissions/.
#5 - December 28, 2019, 06:07 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Thanks for your input.  The latest author guidelines from Boyds Mills Press do not say anything about authors being responsible for photos or illustrations.   Older guidelines (2016) said author would be responsible for photos, but they did not mention illustrations.  Time to throw old guidelines away.   Thanks!
#6 - December 30, 2019, 03:31 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Thanks for your input.  The latest author guidelines from Boyds Mills Press do not say anything about authors being responsible for photos or illustrations.   Older guidelines (2016) said author would be responsible for photos, but they did not mention illustrations.  Time to throw old guidelines away.   Thanks!

Boyd's Mills has been purchased by Kane Press. That may explain the changes to guidelines and the new name.
#7 - December 30, 2019, 05:47 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Even when authors are expected to source photos, they don't usually include those in the submission unless they have personal photos they have taken themselves since outside photos require payments. Authors might mention if personal photos are available or list what photos they envision and where those photos can be purchased. If the publisher offers a contract the author can try to negotiate a budget to pay for photos as part of the deal, but that depends on the publisher--some expect the author to pay for photos out of their advance. I haven't had to purchase photos myself, but I have been asked to  occasionally provide sources where the publisher can find photos. For one book I used Pinterest (after I was under contract) to pin links to photos my editor could consider. The publisher ended up using some and finding others on their own.
#8 - December 30, 2019, 06:18 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Members: