SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Illustration pricing question

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Pricing question--I've been approached by someone wanting some illustrations that would be used at a trade show. They would be added to a map that someone else is doing, and the whole thing would be gigantically enlarged as I guess a sort of backdrop or something for this business's booth.  I have never done anything like this before, and we're still in the would-you-be-interested-in-this? stage. But I'd like to come with a sense of the going rate for this sort of thing. The business is a business but the person asking is a personal friend, so I just want to negotiate carefully, since there is a personal element involved.

(I love the drawing and writing side of things. I really wish the business side would just take care of itself, sigh...)
#1 - January 30, 2020, 03:23 PM

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Several approaches. 

You could check the prices for that sort of work in a current copy of the Graphic Artists Guild Pricing and Ethical Guidelines Handbook.  Remember that those are union rates, though.  You'll need to bid lower, but it'll give you an idea. 

If you have an idea how long it'll take you, and an hourly rate you want, just multiply those two.  Then add any relevant costs for materials  and bid that. 

You could ask them what their budget is, then haggle a bit from there. 

Maybe someone on here will tell you how much they charged for a similar project? 

Or do a combination of these. 

Good luck! 
#2 - January 31, 2020, 07:38 PM
Karen B. Jones

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Thanks, Karen! Those are good things to think about. There are really a lot of factors to consider, and hopefully we can come to a good agreement (hopefully they like my style and want to go with it!)
#3 - January 31, 2020, 08:28 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Congrats, Rose! No advice, but I hope it works out great for you and your friend. You are so talented!
#4 - February 01, 2020, 08:18 PM

Members: