SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Advice on portfolio

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Hi everyone, I’ve been following these boards for about a year and educating myself on becoming a freelance illustrator. I’ve finally worked up the courage to start putting myself out there.
I was hoping for advice and input on my portfolio before I start sending it to publishers. Any advice would be very welcomed. Here is the link
https://teaganbouma.squarespace.com/
#1 - March 11, 2020, 01:38 PM

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Looks good. 

I'd remove the sketches category and consolidate the pets and fine art into into just one "Animals Portraits" category.  I'd remove the dog with the bow tie and the white dog where you have two poses, one lying down and one just a headshot.  Those two aren't bad, per se, they're just not quite as strong as the rest of them.  This is your strongest category.  They're all very nice. 

In the Illustration category, I'd like to see slightly more detail in your landscapes.  Some of them look a little unfinished, like they'd benefit from some ink lines or additional painted details to define things a bit more.  They'd be great as-is if they were merely the background and there was a figure in the foreground where the focus was meant to be. 

I think your figure drawing needs a little practice but I like where you're going.  I like the girl on the unicorn and the boys on the fence the best. I'd remove the one with the boy with the wizard and the one at the bottom with the deer.  They're your weakest pieces in that category. 

You're making a good start.  Keep working and update your portfolio as you keep getting better and better.  Good luck! 
#2 - March 11, 2020, 03:57 PM
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 04:00 PM by karen-b-jones »
Karen B. Jones

Karen's got some great advice. My personal fav is the fox. Although the b&w sketch of the girl looking around the corner really appeals to me - that style could work really well for illustrated middle grade/chapterbooks. You've got a great start, just keep updating/curating your portfolio as your skills/style evolves. Good luck!
#3 - March 11, 2020, 04:53 PM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Thank you both for your great advice. It’s really refreshing to have some unbiased opinions 😊. I’ll update the page with your suggestions over the weekend.
#4 - March 19, 2020, 07:39 PM

Members: