SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Book Proposal as an Illustrator

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
Hello. How does one prepare a book proposal as an illustrator?  How are illustrations shared in the proposal? Thank you for any advice you can share!
#1 - April 25, 2020, 07:29 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
A story I have written and illustrated is very dependent on the illustrations.  I have prepared a book dummy and I would like to create a proposal. Without the illustrations, I do not believe the text is clear. 

Thank you!
#2 - April 25, 2020, 12:15 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I believe you sub the text as a manuscript and a sketch dummy with a complete spread, but an illustrator will drop by at some point to verify. Give them time.
#3 - April 25, 2020, 06:00 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Becky, you can send the text/manuscript with a link to samples of art for the book, or you a link to the pdf of the full dummy. Sometimes they will allow a Illustrator/author to attach an image or two to the email submission. Read the Agents (or Publishers) guidelines for submission to see what they accept. For an example, Andrea Brown Lit's guidelines for an Illustrator who is also the Author is to attach the complete pencil dummy, in pdf format and include 1 of 2 color samples with a link to your online portfolio .
We used to snail mail physical book dummies back in the day but not sure that happens a whole lot anymore.
#4 - April 26, 2020, 03:10 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
Thank you!  Sending the text with links to samples is a great idea. Thank you for the reminder to look into what specific expectations are.

Have a blessed and beautiful day!
#5 - April 27, 2020, 06:46 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Best of luck with the submissions! :)
#6 - April 27, 2020, 08:33 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"