SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Spider Magazine (Cricket Media): Looking for a contact?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hello,
I have a submission that I sent to Spider a lonnnnnng time ago (February). The status has not changed in Submittable, though I have received rejections for other Cricket Media submissions. Does anyone have a contact there so I can check in on it?

Jessica Whipple
@JessicaWhippl17
#1 - July 05, 2020, 05:49 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region austin
Hi Jessica, FWIW,  I just wanted to let you know that I’ve waited 12-13 months on a sub to the cricket mags...just so you know yours may be under consideration (or they might not have gotten to it yet). Fingers crossed for you!
#2 - July 05, 2020, 07:40 PM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Jessica,
 Do you mean you submitted your piece in February of 2019?  That would indeed be a long time.  However, if you mean only February 2020, then that's nothing for a response from Cricket Media.  Was the submission for one of their posted themes?  If so, you should likely expect a reply sooner than for a general submission.  My experience with Cricket Media magazines is that the only thing meaningful regarding one's Submittable status is Received, Rejected, or Accepted.  That is, things don't always get moved to In-Progress with them.  Sit tight.  If your piece hasn't been rejected, you can be certain that it's still in the running.
#3 - July 05, 2020, 07:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Agreeing with the others: a 6-month wait is around the minimum I've seen on my subs. I looked back at one of my longer waits, and it was only 10 months, not the 12-13 that Jayca waited!

Based on how many submissions they receive, especially as other magazines have folded across the years, I think they are intentionally very guarded about their contact information.  Hopefully they'll get back to you with good news.
#4 - July 06, 2020, 09:57 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
I have a submission for Spider from last October that I still haven't heard back about (it's been "in-progress" for awhile), and I'm not at all worried about it.  Be patient!
#5 - July 07, 2020, 07:45 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi, Jessica!

I noticed with my last few responses from Ladybug that the turnaround time was getting longer and longer. I think they're just a little behind.

As for the status changes, there doesn't seem to me to be any rhyme or reason behind them. I've had submissions never change from "received," and other times I've had submissions go right to "in-progess" the moment I send them.

#6 - July 10, 2020, 05:13 PM
Twitter: BGOwriter
Web: http://briangeneolson.weebly.com

Members: