SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

InkedVoices vs 12x12?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi All-
I am a new pb author/illustrator and my goal for this year is to find an agent and/or publisher for at least one of my manuscripts. I realize a huge step in this direction is to find a community that includes critique partners/groups. Both InkedVoices and 12x12 keep coming up as I research my options. Both are paid services and I have a limited budget - does anyone have advice on which to choose? Suggestions on a free alternative? I'd also love advice on where to find affordable First Pages events. So far I'm finding that "getting serious" about my writing means spending a serious amount of money.  Thanks in advance!
#1 - January 09, 2021, 11:49 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I'm not familiar with Inked Voices but I know many, many people who love 12x12. I was a member several years ago and loved the motivation to complete a draft every month and loved the FB group. For a few years I paid the Gold Status to have the opportunity to sub to the agents, but once I found an agent I felt like I was paying to be part of a FB group and decided to spend my $ elsewhere.

If you are new to PB writing, I do think the community and accountability of 12x12 might be worth it. If I remember correctly, when you are new member, you cannot pay to the higher amount to sub to agents, so just be aware of what the various levels will give you as you weigh your options. Even though I decided to quit after a few years, I still have many friends who still are a part of it, both agented and unagented. I think there are many webinars and such included with the price you pay, so that is where a lot of writers are finding their value even if they can't sub to the agents through 12x12 that are featured each month.

I hope this helps.
#2 - January 09, 2021, 12:22 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, Fall 2022)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thank you! That is really helpful!
#3 - January 09, 2021, 05:52 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
First, you're in one of the best free resources there is. Portions of these boards are free. With your SCBWI membership, you should be able to find local crit groups and you can also post in our crit section or seek partners on these boards. Most chapters also have other events, including webinars and first pages sessions, often for an extra fee. Talk to your RA.

I've never done one of the paid programs though I have often considered them and a few MFA programs. There are also some great books on craft that you may find cheaply as well as lots of online info from various sites and other courses. Here's a start: http://www.kidlit411.com/2014/01/picture-books.html.
#4 - January 09, 2021, 06:46 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
Hi azmh! I just signed up for 12 x 12 and am really excited to get started. My critique partner recommended  it to me. It looks like a great resource. Also, there is a 30-day money back guarantee, which allows us newcomers to try it out.
#5 - January 10, 2021, 05:49 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
The 12 x 12 once a month webinars make it worth the price, even if you can't complete a draft each month.
#6 - January 11, 2021, 04:10 AM

Members: