Each full-time conference attendee may sign up for ONE (1) individual twenty-minute consultation for an additional fee of $110. Select Portfolio, Manuscript or Social Media Consultation when registering. Your assigned time will be in your registration packet that you will receive on Friday, July 31. While we can guarantee a professional reviewer, we cannot guarantee a consultation with an editor, agent, or art director.
Manuscript Consultation Submission Guidelines
Please be sure to read the following very carefully before submitting your manuscript. If you are unsure about anything for the manuscript consultation, please call Kim Turrisi with any questions, 323-782-1010 or e-mail her firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. You must register for the conference before you submit your manuscript. PRINT OUT a copy of your confirmation e-mail, or the registration page once you complete your registration, and include it with your manuscript.
2. All manuscripts must be sent via a traceable method such as Fed Ex or UPS to:
SCBWI Summer Conference
4727 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 301
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Due to the number of manuscripts we receive, no in-person office drop-offs or electronic submissions will be accepted.
3. Your manuscript must ARRIVE in our Los Angeles office ON or BEFORE Tuesday, MAY 26. Manuscripts received after THAT DAY cannot be accepted.
4. Format ALL manuscripts in a 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font. More formatting questions? Read From Keyboard to Printed Page. PLEASE DO NOT STAPLE YOUR PAGES.
5. ALL submissions must include a title page with your contact information in the upper left hand corner as well as the genre of your manuscript (YA, MG, Chapter Book or NF. Please note, it must be only one genre, there is no MG/YA per publishing guidelines).
* If you are represented by an agent, please note that on the title page as well.
* The title page does NOT count as one of your ten pages.
6. The name on your manuscript must match the name you registered under even if you write under a pseudonym.
7. For Picture Books and Poetry: Submit up to TEN (10) pages of ONE picture book manuscript regardless of the page count. No synopsis is needed. Please do not submit a dummy book, photos, or illustrations, however: feel free to bring them to the consultation.
8. For Middle Grade, Young Adult, Nonfiction and Chapter books: Submit only the first TEN (10) pages, even if it cuts off mid-chapter, plus a synopsis no longer than 250 words.
**You MUST include the synopsis or we cannot accept your submission.**
9. If you have had a critique at a previous conference, please add that information (who the reviewer was) on a post it note so we can avoid scheduling you with someone you’ve already met with.
Portfolio Consultation Submission Guidelines
Simply register by the deadline (MAY 26), and bring your portfolio along with you to the conference. We will let you know the exact date and time of your consultation when you pick up your registration packet on Friday, July 31.
Social Media Consultations
With Greg Pincus
Receive direction, advice, and strategies for getting the most out of your online presence based on what you hope to accomplish and what you're already doing (or NOT doing) online. End up with clear goals, learn about time-saving efficiencies in social media, and ask questions, too. Upon signing up, you will receive a short question/answer sheet to return to Greg so consultation can be specific to your questions and needs. Consultation includes a written report, 20 minutes face-to-face at the conference, and 30 minutes of Skype/phone consulting follow-up after the event to help fine tune your social media presence.