Virtual New York Conference
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2023
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2023
* Pre-recorded session from the in-person conference in New York,
February 11–12, 2023
- Regina Brooks – Agent, Serendipity Literary Agency
- Linda Camacho – Agent, Gallt & Zacker Literary Agency
- Kate Egan – Editor, Kids Can Press
- Arthur A. Levine – Founder and Publisher, Levine Querido
- Patricia O’Campo – Senior Editor, Kids Can Press
- Creating Picture Books that Soar
Andrea Welch – Senior Editor, Beach Lane Books
In this session, Beach Lane Books Executive Editor Andrea Welch will walk participants through the key elements of picture books, including voice, language, pacing, page turns, and so much more. Please bring a work-in-progress and all of your picture book questions!
- Character Development for Novelists
Jill Santopolo – Associate Publisher, Philomel Books
There’s a writing saying that plot builds character. But so do many other things! In this workshop we’ll come at character from different angles, talk about how character is connected to voice, and even—yes—to plot. Get ready for exercises galore and a chance to really dive into the imaginary people you’ve created.
- Illustrator Creative Lab: Creating Believable and Lovable Characters Readers Will Root For
Aram Kim – Art Director, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group
How do you create characters that are well-built, believable, and so lovable that readers fall in love and root for their journey? It’s much more than coming up with a cute character you think your readers will like. It’s all about building an entire world for your character. In this hands-on workshop, we’ll practice building a world around our characters. Bring the characters you created to develop deeper or create one during the workshop to practice. We will have several short practices throughout and have time to review a few volunteers’ works.