When you give a friend or loved one a gift membership to SCBWI, you’re giving them a year’s worth of resources that will help them fulfill their dream of being published or reach new heights as published writer or illustrator. They will be connected to a network of writers and illustrators all driven by the same passion, ready to help each other succeed. They will have access to our publications and resources such as our quarterly Bulletin and our comprehensive Book: The Essential Guide to Publishing for Children; they will be able to attend all of our events, where they can meet editors, agents, art directors, and other writers and illustrators just like them; and can participate in our awards and grants that are available for writers and illustrators at all stages of the publishing process. To learn more about the benefits your friend or loved one will receive as a member, click here
How to Sign Up for a Gift Membership
- If you are signed into your own SCBWI account, sign out now
- Click on the JOIN button, either in the center of the home screen or in the menu in the upper right-hand corner (Note: to see this menu, you might have to click on three green bars in the corner of your screen)
- Fill out the provided form with the recipient’s information
- Write YOUR email in the email field—this is so you can receive the receipt for payment
- Fill out YOUR credit card information. Make sure to NOT check the AUTO-RENEW box, or else your card will be billed next year
Congratulations! Your friend or loved one is now signed up for SCBWI. Their membership will expire on the first day of the following month (for example, if you created the gift membership on May 15, 2018, their membership will expire June 1, 2019).
Now you need to change the email address you provided so that the recipient can receive our email updates and newsletters. To do that:
- Click on MY HOME in the upper right-hand menu (Note: to see this menu, you might have to click on three green bars in the corner of your screen)
- You will be brought to a page with four boxes of personal information. In the CONTACT DETAILS box, click EDIT
- Scroll down the page until you see the EMAIL field
- Change the email to the recipient’s email address, then scroll to the bottom of the page and hit SAVE
That’s it! Your friend or loved one will receive a welcome packet in the mail, which includes their membership card and the latest issue of the Bulletin, 4-6 weeks after they are signed up; however, their membership starts immediately—there is no need to wait for the welcome packet.
If you would like something tangible to give them as a gift, click on the MEMBERSHIP option on the left-hand vertical menu, then click PRINT MEMBERSHIP CARD. This is an online version of the membership card they will receive in the mail and is NOT NECESSARY FOR SCBWI EVENTS, but is wonderful to include in a card to let them know that they are officially a member of SCBWI!