ABOUT JESSICA LANAN
Jessica Lanan is an author and illustrator living in Boulder, CO. She has been a member of SCBWI since 2010 and participated in the SCBWI Mentorship program in 2011.
Her debut as an author/illustrator, THE FISHERMAN AND THE WHALE, was published in May 2019 by Simon & Schuster and received starred reviews from School Library Journal and Shelf Awareness. Art from the book was featured in the Society of Illustrators Original Art Show and the book was reviewed on the Calling Caldecott blog. In 2020 THE FISHERMAN AND THE WHALE was awarded the Bull Bransom Award for excellence in the field of children’s illustration by the National Museum of Wildlife Art.
Jessica’s illustrated books include:
- A KID OF THEIR OWN by Megan Dowd Lambert (Charlesbridge 2020) which received a starred review from Kirkus
- FINDING NARNIA: THE STORY OF C.S. LEWIS AND HIS BROTHER, by Caroline McAlister (Roaring Brook, 2019) which received a starred review from Kirkus and was an Amazon best nonfiction book of fall 2019
- JUST RIGHT: SEARCHING FOR THE GOLDILOCKS PLANET by Curtis Manley (Roaring Brook Press, 2019), a Junior Library Guild selection, ALA notable book and Bank Street best book which received a starred review from School Library Journal
- OUT OF SCHOOL AND INTO NATURE (Sleeping Bear Press, March 2017) by Suzanne Slade, which received a starred review from Kirkus and was selected the 2017 Creative Child Magazine Book of the Year Award in the Biography Picture Books Category
- THE STORY I’LL TELL (Lee & Low, Nov. 2015) by Nancy Tupper
Ling, which received starred reviews from both Publisher’s Weekly and Booklist
- GOOD FORTUNE IN A WRAPPING CLOTH by Joan Schoettler (Shen’s Books, 2011) which won the APALA literature award in the picture book category.
Upcoming books include THE LOST PACKAGE by Richard Ho (Roaring Brook Press, Feb 2021) and her next book as an author-illustrator, soon to be announced.
Jessica is represented by Ed Maxwell at Sanford J. Greenburger Associates, who discovered her portfolio at the SCBWI New York Portfolio Showcase in 2016.
Find out more at www.jessicalanan.com
PUBLICATIONS - View in Bookstore
Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing
Roaring Brook Press (Macmillan Publishers)
Sleeping Bear Press
Lee & Low Books