ABOUT STEVE HERON
STEVE HERON OAM
Books to touch and tickle hearts.
When he’s not shooting marshmallows out of a home-made cannon or hanging out with the local magpie population, Steve uses his forty years of experience working with children in social and emotional wellbeing to cultivate and underpin his writing.
He blends the elements of heart, hope, humour and help to create children’s books that touch and tickle hearts.
- Middle-grade novel 1000 Snapshots Playtime Books (Shawline Publishing) – November 2021 (Shortlisted Western Australian Premiers Book Awards 2021)
- Picture book, Where Ya Goin’? Wild Eyed Press – August 2021
- Picture book, Ling Li’s Lantern MidnightSun 2020 (Winner of Picture Book all ages category in the Northern Lights Book Awards 2021)
- Maximus, first middle-grade novel – Serenity Press 2018
- Series of six picture books in the Feel Safe Feel Right Series (Self Published) 2007
Diploma of Children’s Writing and Publishing 2015 Australian College.
Founder of Nurture Works and the acclaimed ‘BUZ – Build Up Zone’ programs.
Order of Australia Medal 2016 for contribution to the
social and emotional wellbeing of children.
- Picture book Harold the Horrid was shortlisted
with 2017 Greenleaf Buds Writing competition
- Short story The Money Pouch was longlisted in
the BUZZWords Magazine Short Story competition 2018
Children’s Author @ Big Sky Readers and Writers
Festival Geraldton, Words in The Valley Readers and Writers festival Bridgetown and Children’s Author in residence @ Carnarvon 2019. Margaret River Readers and Writers Festival 2022
A champion of wellbeing for children, he has been called an affirmative vandal and a hooligan of hope.
A champion of wellbeing for children.
Solid social media platforms and creative, experienced presenter in schools and libraries.
Member of SCBWI, ASA, Writing WA, CBCA WA.