SCBWI is committed to supporting our members who choose non-traditional paths to publication. Starting in early June, SCBWI will offer new benefits designed to assist, support, and educate our Published Independently Members (PIM). This five-point plan includes the following benefits:
1. Two new grants:
- A marketing grant for a book creator from a community that is traditionally underrepresented in children’s books.
- A grant for a pre-self-published book creator to help offset the costs of publishing.
2. SCBWI has entered into a partnership with the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) as an Organizational Member. Under our membership, all SCBWI members have access to ALLi’s Watchdog Database which rates self-publishing companies and service providers, pointing out the ones that give value and the ones that are scams.
3. Three new publications with information on self-publishing:
- ALLI’s quarterly member magazine, The Indie Authors Magazine
- A guidebook of vetted self-publishing service providers.
- A new guidebook on self-publishing children’s books that will be available later this year to all PIM members.
-Participation in SCBWI’s Recommended Reading List for the month of July where we highlight, celebrate, and promote members’ independently published books.
4. Self-publishing webinars and sessions in our digital workshops and conferences.
5. Our annual SPARK award for excellence in self-publishing. The winner of this annual award receives $1000, Spark seals to display on their book, the opportunity to teach a digital workshop about their publishing journey, the chance to be featured in the SCBWI online bookstore and publicized through SCBWI social networking sites, and free tuition to any SCBWI conference of their choice.
Stay tuned for the launch of all these benefits next month!