Illustrator and Writer
||5-10, 11-13, and 14-17
||Anywhere in my country
I grew up near Buffalo New York in a family chock full of musicians, artists, and crazy people with a love for life. I started drawing as soon as I could hold a crayon and never stopped. I knew from a very young age that I wanted to be an artist. To that end I received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Visual Art from Messiah College with a concentration in Drawing and Illustration, and completed coursework from the Tyler School of Art. I worked for nine years as an artist and designer before returning to my first love: children’s book illustration. My experience includes illustrating children’s books, teaching art at the Chesapeake Center for Creative Arts and local schools, and authoring or illustrating more than 22 books. I am the Co-Regional Advisor for the Maryland, Delaware West Virginia SCBWI Region, and I have mentored with EB Lewis.
I now live, and work, from my home studio in Maryland and enjoy spending time with my husband and four young children. To contact me please email me at: email@example.com
My presentation focuses on perseverance by sharing my journey to become an author/illustrator. I walk students through the various steps of writing, editing and illustrating, and include them in short exercises along the way. It’s an interactive and entertaining presentation that includes behind the scenes photographs of both writing and illustrating allowing students to connect and feel more confident about their own work. I believe author visits should inspire and energize students to read and explore their own creative potential.
My typical presentations are designed for grades K-12 and run approximately 45 minutes. The presentation can be modified to fit your schedule, the age of the audience, or any specific needs, however, I have worked with large assembly presentations as well as small, intimate workshops. I can give up to three large-group presentations in one day and several small-group workshops on the same day. I’m also happy to have lunch with students and/or faculty.
I also offer virtual Skype visits. My typical Skype visit is approximately 45 minutes is an abbreviated presentation with lots of time for Q & A.
For a downloadable list of presentations and workshops please visit https://www.rebeccaevans.net/school-visits/
What to expect:
An educational, dynamic and interactive presentation geared toward the age level and specific educational goals of the audience. All content of every session is tailored to the audience. I showcase the revision process of writing and illustrating, along with the idea that if you are willing to work hard, your dreams can be achieved.
- My typical presentation is between 45-60 minutes.
- Workshops are typically 30-60 minutes long, depending on content.
- Session content will vary depending on audience age, time, and school requests.
- I arrive 20 – 30 minutes early, unless specifically requested to arrive earlier.
- I bring a jump drive, books, examples, and props.
- There is ALWAYS time for questions!
- Custom presentations available upon request.
What I need from you:
- A room full of students!
- If you have chosen an interactive presentation or a small workshop, each student will need a paper and pencil and a hard surface to write on.
- An LCD projector and screen or blank wall to project on.
- Microphone (for groups larger than classroom size)
- Computer with PowerPoint OPTIONAL (I can bring my own, though sometimes linking to your projector can be tricky!)
- Electrical outlet and extension cord for projector
- An advance look at the schedule for the day