Sunday, November 5th, 1-2:30 pm
Huntington Main Library Main Street, Huntington, NY
SCBWI members $40
Sara E. Sargent, Senior Executive Editor at Penguin Random House is giving a 45-minute presentation on her role at Penguin Random House, one of the biggest children's publishing houses in the world.
This event is for new writers, illustrators, and PAL members (Published and Listed). The second half of the presentation is a 90-minute First Page event. SCBWI participants submit a copy of the first page of their manuscript for Sara to give constructive feedback and suggestions. Only one page per attendee.
We strongly suggest attendees come 10 minutes early and please stay until the very end of the entire presentation.
BIO: Sara Sargent is a Senior Executive Editor at Random House Books for Young Readers. She has previously held positions at HarperCollins Children’s Books, Simon & Schuster, New York Magazine, and Meet the Press. Sara has worked with New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USAToday bestselling authors such as #1 New York Times bestselling authors Katty Kay and Claire Shipman, plus TV star Daymond John, celeb power couple Ciara and Russell Wilson, Olympians Laurie Hernandez and Karen Chen, TV personality Ainsley Earhardt, YouTube star StacyPlays, and fiction writers Abbi Glines, Rosamund Hodge, and Lisa Maxwell. Sara has also worked with internationally bestselling author and actress Lily Collins; National Book Award finalist Deb Caletti; and social media influencers Laci Green, Matthew Espinosa, Baby Ariel, and Arden Rose. Sara received her Master of Science in journalism from Northwestern University. She lives in Brooklyn.
Requirements for Submitting a First Page:
1. Email a copy of one page of your work-in-progress manuscript
2. Bring 3 copies of one page from your manuscript, just in case we have technical software problems.
3. The First First come, first serve. Only 30 pages will be read.
4. You must be at the event to have your First Page critique. If you have an emergency, we'll refund your money.
5. Penguin Random House is a closed house, please do not submit manuscripts to Sara prior to the event.
Format for First Pages:
1. Letter size format (8 and a half by 11 inches).
2. Font: Times Roman, 12 points. Doubled space. This makes it easier for the Editor to read.
3. Top of the page, write whether your manuscript is a Picture Book, Middle Grade, or YA (Young Adult) novel, etc. The word count on your W-I-P (work-in-progress).
4. Optional: Authors and Illustrators can add their names to their Pages, but we don't require it.
Deadline: Participants for the First Pages must email their pages by November 1st.