Click on the SCHEDULE button above for our full schedule.
+ Your current writing project. There will be lots of time to write or work on art. The majority of the retreat time is yours to write. The TED-style talks are inspiring 5-10 minute quick pick-me-ups and there is no scheduled keynote speaker. It's all about writing and getting to know other creative people.
+ You may want to bring a mentor text to guide your writing.
+ There will be a couple of optional critique opportunities. Bring up to 5 double spaced pages of a work-in-progress for feedback.
+ Have questions about writing? Jot them down and bring them along so you don't forget them.
+ The weather is typically cool, so bring a medium-weight jacket, good walking shoes suitable for the beach (it's a pebbly-somewhat rocky beach) and throw in an umbrella just in case.
+ If you're staying at the hotel, the rooms have refrigerators, so bring your favorite snacks and drinks (but we promise to feed you well!).
+ Bring your swimsuit if you plan to take a dip in the pool or spa.
+ A flashlight will come in very handy when walking in the evening--I highly recommend bringing one.
+ Don't forget your sense of fun and adventure!
The retreat fee includes program, conference room usage, and four meals (breakfast Saturday and Sunday plus dinner Friday and Saturday). Lunch is on your own Saturday, but we'll have an optional plan if you want to join us for a lunch adventure.
A hotel room is NOT included in the price of the retreat. Commuters are welcome and can use the conference room during the weekend. ***The hotel is offering a discount on rooms through December 5, 2023. The block of rooms will not be held after that date and the discount may not apply. PLEASE BOOK ASAP.***
To book a room at The Cavalier Oceanfront Resort, 9415 Hearst Drive, San Simeon, CA, call the hotel directly at 805 927-4688. Ask for the SCBWI writing conference rate. They've set aside a block of rooms as follows:
· Deluxe King Ocean View (King's Row) $229 night with patio or balcony overlooking the ocean.
· Standard Double Queen Room $179 night (2 beds)
· Standard King Bed $179 night (1 bed)
There are also rooms on the cliff directly over the ocean in the Cavalier Terrace with one king bed. We did not set any of these aside and they aren't discounted for the conference, but you can inquire about the price if you're interested.
Additional hotel information: The hotel is two stories and there is NO elevator. The conference room is on the ground floor and is accessible. If you are booking a hotel room and need a first-floor room, make sure you indicate that when making your room reservation.
1. Space is limited. Book as soon as possible.
2. Booking a slot at the retreat does not include a hotel room. Please check the "Booking a Hotel Room" page for more information.
3. The hotel will release our set-aside block of rooms and discontinue our discounted rate after December 5, 2023. Please book prior to that date. You might find rooms available after that date, but we can't guarantee it.
4. Retreat attendance cancellations (not rooms) made before December 5th, 2023 will receive a refund less a $35 processing fee. Refunds after that date will be handled on a case-by-case basis depending on whether we have a waitlist and can get a refund on catering. Contact Rebecca at email@example.com.
5. Any hotel room cancellations must be done directly with the hotel. You are responsible to check the hotel cancellation policy. Cancelling your hotel room does not cancel your retreat attendance, nor does cancelling your retreat attendance automatically cancel your hotel room. These are two separate things and it is your responsibility to track these.
6. While the location is lovely and it may be tempting to bring family with you, this is a writing retreat just for you to get away and focus on your work, so we urge you to leave your loved ones at home (feel free to send them some great pictures of you having a wonderful time). Only attendees will be permitted in the conference room and at meals.
7. In the past, the hotel has permitted some pets in their hotel rooms. If you plan to bring a pet, it is your responsibility to check the hotel's current rules. No pets will be permitted in the conference room or at meals with the exception of trained service animals. If you need to bring a trained service animal, please inquire with Rebecca prior to December 5th, 2023 so she can clarify the hotel rules.
8. Meals are listed in the schedule. Vegetarian options are included. If you have special dietary restrictions, please notify Rebecca at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately after booking.