You’ve seen the Shark Tank, now enter the SCBWI Piranha Pit for a chance to win $1,000 for your marketing plan.
You’re an author, illustrator, author-illustrator, or translator who has great ideas of how to market your book. If you’re traditionally published, you want to supplement what your publisher is doing. If you’re independently/self-published, you want some support to get your book seen. SCBWI is here to help with Piranha Pit.
SCBWI Piranha Pit will take place Saturday, February 24 from 11:00am–12:15pm PACIFIC TIME. A panel of marketing ‘piranhas’ will listen to five selected finalists pitch LIVE.
How it works:
- Entries must be submitted by 5pm PT on Friday, January 12, 2024. Only submit if you are available to pitch live during the Virtual Winter Conference.
- Submit your book marketing plan via email to email@example.com. It may be in written form or on video.
- You must be a paying attendee of the SCBWI Virtual Winter Conference 2024. SCBWI members and non-members may enter.
- Five finalists will be pre-selected by the SCBWI staff to present their plans live on February 24, 2024 at 11am Pacific Time.
- You will have 8–10 minutes tell us a little bit about yourself, then present an elevator pitch of your book, why you think your marketing plan will be effective, why you chose these tactics, and how you will measure success.
- Contestants may be traditionally or independently/self-published.
- Books may be new works or backlist titles published between January 1, 2019 – February 28, 2024.
- You may present your marketing plan any way you’d like (using props, costumes, music, instruments––whatever you think will help the piranhas understand your book and your plan is acceptable!)
- Piranha deliberations will take place immediately after the last contestant presents, and the winner will be announced live.
- The winner will receive $1,000 and will be featured on our website, on SCBWI social media, and in Insight, our monthly member newsletter.
- All Piranha decisions are final.