The Kansas / Missouri SCBWI region is a vibrant, dedicated and welcoming community of children's book writers and illustrators. We provide support to our members through craft and industry workshops, critique and networking opportunities, industry updates, and an annual conference that is packed with inspiration and learning for all levels of creators.
OUR VOLUNTEER LEADERSHIP TEAM
Our region is currently led by Co-Regional Advisors Michele Helsel and Nicki Jacobsmeyer, Assistant Regional Advisor Sue Fritz, and Illustrator Coordinator Andy Lozano. Please email us at email@example.com with questions.
The children's and young adult publishing field is very competitive and you can learn a great deal by networking with other writers and illustrators. Our members range from people thinking about their first book to seasoned professionals with many books in print. We all share an enthusiasm for creating quality books for children and young people, as well as a desire to help fellow SCBWI members succeed. We encourage you to join us at our next event!
* A variety of events in different locations in Kansas and Missouri with special guest speakers, including an annual fall conference. See our Calendar of Events for details. Some events are free, others require a registration fee. SCBWI members receive a significant discount on all event registration fees and critiques.
* Ongoing email communications from our region with information and opportunities for writers and illustrators. Members receive early notification of many events and are eligible for early bird registration for the annual conference.
* Periodic paid critique opportunities with agents, editors, creatives and art directors from a range of genres.
* Assistance for members interested in finding local or online critique groups. Each June, our region hosts Critique Across Kansas and Missouri, a week of one-time critique groups meeting across our states.
* A Speakers Bureau for PAL authors and illustrators interested in school visits and other speaking engagements.
* An Illustrators Gallery showcasing portfolio work of illustrator members.
* Promotion of our members’ news and events.
* A Member Bookstore showcasing the books of our published members.
* Three scholarships are awarded for the annual conference. The Promising Picture Book Scholarship, Novel Scholarship, and Illustrator scholarship. All three scholarships are open to members only and can win you free tuition to the fall Middle of the Map Conference!.
* And free tuition for the Middle of the Map Art Contest Winner.
KS/MO Second Saturday's NEWSLETTER
The Kansas/Missouri region has a quarterly e-newsletter that includes information about upcoming chapter events, upcoming member events and member news about new book sales, agent deals and more.
Membership in the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators is through the international office, which is located in Los Angeles. You can learn all about the MANY benefits of becoming an SCBWI member at https://www.scbwi.org/signup.
There are no additional fees to be a regional member. As an SCBWI member, you are welcome to attend events or conferences in any region around the world at a member discount price.