The Write Direction is an informal gathering where members meet to socialize and talk about children’s writing and illustrating. It is a support/fellowship/networking meeting. Often there are no guest speakers at The Write Direction. Nor is extensive critiquing done. These are always free! (Some groups meet in coffee shops/restaurants where it is a courtesy to purchase something.)
Who can participate?
1. Open to SCBWI members and nonmembers.
2. Anyone under the age of 18 is not allowed at SCBWI events for liability reasons.
3. Caregivers or facilitators for physically impaired attendees are always welcome.
Where are the meetings held?
For purposes of comfort and safety, gatherings are usually held in public venues (libraries, churches, parks, restaurants, bookstores, etc.).
What do we talk about? What do we do at a meeting?
A topic for discussion may be chosen ahead of time to “get the ball rolling,” but the object is to encourage everyone to participate. Input from attendees with experience related to the topic is always welcome. Or participants may attend an event together (e.g., a book signing, author appearance, etc.).
Anything else I should know?
SCBWI has a zero-tolerance policy against harassment of any kind. Any violation of this policy is actionable. Go here for more information.
ZOOM SW WRITE DIRECTION – The SW Write Direction meets every second Saturday on Zoom from 3:00 to 5:00 PM. The meeting is informal; we critique, and try to solve writing problems.
***If you wish to join us, contact Carol Bloemen firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Contact Carol Bloemen email@example.com
THREE SISTERS WRITE DIRECTION – Three Sisters Write Direction meets monthly, on the second Saturday of odd-numbered months for writers and illustrators to share WIP news, enjoy topic-focused discussion, and partnered critique time. Our aim is to provide each other support and community. Our next meeting will be Sept. 9th at 1:00pm at Dudley's Bookshop in Bend, OR.
Questions? Contact Francine Rockey at firstname.lastname@example.org
SALEM WRITE DIRECTION – No Current Schedule
Questions? Contact Che Gilson at email@example.com
WRITE DIRECTION COFFEE HOUR – Portland No Current Schedule – However, this group will open again when we find our new Coffee Hour coordinator. Is it you? If you’re interested in heading this Portland-based monthly meeting in 2022, please contact Deb Bartsch. Thank You for stepping up!
Check the newsletter for specific dates, times, and locations.
Questions? Contact Deb Bartsch at firstname.lastname@example.org
ZOOM WWA - CLARK COUNTY WRITERS – Clark County, Vancouver, WA – monthly during the school year, courtesy of Western Washington Region. Meetings happen on the first Saturday of the month beginning at 9am. You must register in order to receive a Zoom link on Friday before the event.
***To register contact Kristin Burchell at: email@example.com
Questions? Contact Kristin Burchell
1. Get approval from Deb Bartsch, The Write Direction Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Choose a free location (a library, a community center, a café, etc.) and a date and time—one to two hours is a good length. Note: gatherings are free to members and nonmembers alike, so it’s a good way to introduce people to SCBWI.
3. Please fill out this form for publicity purposes. Include a contact email and/or phone number. It’ll go to the appropriate people for the website if there’s enough lead time, and for the next NewsWorthy (see deadlines, etc. here.) if you give us enough notice.
4. Share about The Write Direction meeting on our Twitter account, our Facebook page, or Portland Kidlit on Facebook, if appropriate. You may also announce it on Toad Hall, or other listserves where you can invite writers and illustrators.
5. If your meeting is location based, an email announcing it to people in that area can be sent. Ask Becky Lance, our webmaster, at least a week before you want the announcement to go out. Contact her at email@example.com. Be sure to provide the text you want sent to potential attendees.
6. Report back to Deb on results and she’ll share in the newsletter. If you take pictures of your group’s meeting, those can go in the newsletter too.