Registration for this event has closed.
Come join us for a craft-oriented workshop that emphasizes joy and play. Adrenaline Level: on a scale of one to ten, with ten being bungee jumping, this will be a 7.5. Seasoned instructor Henry Lien finds three areas woefully neglected in most writing instruction. These areas include:
1) How to create unique concepts that the world has never seen before.
2) Why infodumps are gauche and how to cunningly hide them.
3) How to learn from the radically different East Asian four-act structure.
In-class exercises include Surrealist parlor games. Space is limited so early sign-up is encouraged for all those who want to take their work to the next level.
Please bring the following to the workshop:
1. The workshop outline (electronic format is fine, we will email it to participants before the event).
2. Two or more story ideas (just as one- to two-sentence logline descriptions, electronic format is fine).
3. A writing instrument and a piece of paper large enough to write one word on.
Member price: $45
Non-Member price: $65
9am-10am: Registration, Coffee and Conversation
There will be no refunds for this event
Henry Lien is an author from Taiwan, now living in Hollywood, CA. He is a graduate of St. Paul’s School, Brown University, UCLA School of Law, and Clarion West Writers Workshop. He is the author of the award-winning and critically-acclaimed Peasprout Chen middle grade fantasy series. Henry also teaches writing for institutions including UCLA, the University of Iowa, and Clarion West. He previously worked as an attorney and fine art dealer. He is a four-time Nebula/Norton Award finalist and won the UCLA Extension Department of the Arts Instructor of the Year award. Hobbies include writing theme songs for his novels and losing Nebula/Norton Awards. www.henrylien.com