This 6-month mentorship program, available only to SCBWI Premium Members, will connect you with a published mentor author or illustrator who will provide detailed written feedback on your work each month and conduct monthly online small group meetings that provide support, brainstorming, and community. You will also have the opportunity to improve your craft through peer critiques. Each cohort will be capped at 3-6 participants.
• you have a manuscript or portfolio completed or in progress.
• you've been attending a critique group regularly and are beginning to get positive feedback on your work or have a few manuscripts under your belt.
• you've published in other fields or other genres of children’s books and want to break into something new.
• you are an experienced writer or illustrator but just not sure about a new project.
• you are looking for feedback to take your work to the next level.
SCBWI MD/DE/WV offers two Creative Coaching sessions each year. Sessions run from January to June and from July to December.
Each Creative Coaching Group centers around monthly mentor critiques: You will submit your work for critique each month and receive a detailed written critique from your mentor, for a total of 6 critiques. It’s up to you whether you want to submit new work each month, or revise your work and resubmit for another pass. Illustrators will also have the option to follow targeted illustration prompts. The pricing of our cohorts is based on the cost of the monthly mentor critiques.
• Monthly peer critiques: You will complete a monthly written peer critique for each of the other members of your cohort, and receive written critiques from your peers each month.
• Online group meetings: You’ll meet with your mentor and cohort for seven 60-90 minute meetings. These live online meetings will be a chance to ask questions, brainstorm, get clarification about critiques, and receive craft and career guidance tailored to the needs of the group.
• Email group: Your cohort will connect via an email listserve facilitated through Google Groups. This will be your place to share resources, ask questions, and connect with your cohort.