Deadline to enter: January 15, 2024.
The first-place winner in each category will receive a free written critique from one of our faculty PLUS free tuition to the following year's Writers Day (or equivalent).
– Picture Book (text only, no illustration or dummies)
– Middle Grade novel (first 10 pages)
– Young Adult novel (first 10 pages)
– Other: Non-Fiction book or Other (first 10 pages) / Poetry (10 pages)
If there are fewer than five submissions in a category or judges feel no submission deserves recognition, no award will be given. The number of awards given in each category will be roughly 20 percent of the total number of qualifying entries in each category with the cap set at three per category.
1. You must register for Writers Day 2024. (Writers Day registration link coming soon!)
2. The submitted manuscript must NOT be under contract for publication at the time of application.
3. Manuscripts that have won first-place in any other SCBWI-L.A. contest are ineligible.*
4. You may enter ONE unpublished manuscript in ONE category only.
5. Manuscripts with multiple authors are eligible, but the prize will be split – i.e. two authors would each win half-price tuition.
*If your manuscript wins first place at Writers Day, it will be ineligible for all future contests, including the Mentor Contest and Sue Alexander Grant.
Submissions not in compliance with the following rules WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. To ensure fairness for all, no questions will be answered. Please read carefully.
1. Format your manuscript as follows:
– 1″ margin on all sides
– Font: Times New Roman, 12 point
– Header including PAGE NUMBER AND TITLE ONLY. Do not include your name or any other information on your manuscript.
2. Save your manuscript as a PDF file named with SURNAME_TITLE. Example: Rowling_Harry Potter
3. Send your submission in an email with the subject line Writers Day Contest 2024 to: email@example.com
4. In the body of your email include: – Your name – Address – Phone numbers – Email address – Title of your manuscript – Entry category
5. Attach your manuscript to the email as a PDF file.
6. Once you’ve registered for Writers Day, you must also send a copy of your registration (pdf, screen shot, or photo of e-mail confirmation all acceptable) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. In announcing the award, we may wish to publish a brief, attributed selection from the winning manuscript(s) in our Kite Tales blog or on our website. If you do NOT agree to this, please state so in the body of your email.
8. All entries must be emailed by 11:59pm (PST) on January 15, 2024. You will receive an auto-response indicating that we have received your entry.
Winners will be announced at Writers Day on March 9, 2024.
Free written critiques of winning manuscripts will be coordinated via email after the event.
Judges will remain anonymous.